Ain't Misbehavin' by Fats Walter

Fats Waller - IMDb 

The first thing I noticed here is the jazzy keys and how elegantly they're being played. It's really an upbeat and light spirited type of rhythm. Something that makes you want to sway. Then the horn hits and Fats begins singing immediately. The imagery drawn by the lyrics is really painted a vivid picture for me. The song made me picture a man out at a restaurant or bar all by himself sitting in a corner table. I picture him minding his own business, enjoying the moment because of how content he is with the fact that he has someone very special to him that happens not be out with him at this particular time. I get the sense he is madly in love with this woman as he states he isn't even really looking at the other women around him, he definitely is not flirting with anyone either. This all because he is "saving his love" for this person. There is a break toward the ending where drums are just being jammed out and it sorts of sets up perfectly for ending the piece on a high note. The transition into and out of the drum solo was amazing. Fats has a great voice. Very smooth with a little rasp or grit sounding to compliment. This piece is so simple, but does a great job getting the point across.

Comments

  1. Hey Kekoa, I see what you mean about the song making you want to sway. Immediately as the song began, my head started swaying along. I agree with your lyric analysis and the picture you've painted about the narrator's situation eating alone in a restaurant. (Honestly it's one of my favorite things to do on occasion.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked your blog post! I like how you painted a picture about the narrator. This song was very Jazzy, I agree with what you said about the lyrics painting a vivid picture. I enjoyed listening to this song!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Caravan—Duke Ellington