Caravan—Duke Ellington


The drums come in pretty boldly, but then the keys hit you with authority. Duke Ellington was a wizard with the piano. Then once the groove starts going, you have no choice but to get lost in it. The bass also gets played subtly, but it was making a huge impact on the rhythm of the song. For a song that came out in the 30s, this was so entertaining. From start to finish. The instruments were played so well and the song was composed and arranged so well that it painted a picture in my head. I could easily see this being played in a scene for a movie and also I can just see these guys jamming away. My only complaint, unlike last week's song I listened to, is that I felt cut off once the song finished. Not to say it wasn't a good ending, but it was more abrupt that I would have wanted it to be. The song was bumping then boom, it finished. It still was an amazing song. It's no wonder why a lot of older people complain that today's music is rubbish. I don't agree with that, but this "Caravan" song is the first song that actually makes me understand their side of the argument.


Comments

  1. It is neat to hear how much is going on in this song! Some instruments play long notes, others playing the role of keeping rhythm. It almost feels like multiple songs are being played at any given time, yet they mesh so well together. There is a lot of depth to this song!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the words you used to describe this song! You mentioned that this is a song you can't help but get lost in and I love songs like that. Music really does have a power over you to be able to do that. It's amazing how much music can have an effect on you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it is super interesting that you talked about seeing how people may not like music. And it is a good point of view of literally seeing the performers jamming out as strong as they can. I happen to think that when artist are booming then suddenly stop it makes me think at first "wait what happened" then I want to listen to it again. so I think it is interesting how different artist chose to end this way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh man, I freaking love the drums in this track. It's honestly the best part of the song for me. Also, I agree with you about the song cutting off so abruptly, every version I find does the same thing and it's pretty weird. That being said I still think it's an incredible song.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ain't Misbehavin' by Fats Walter